Shipping Cluster’s Design Support Plugin (Cluster 5)
Small craft (passenger) vessels are custom designed using engineered materials with no standard properties.
Feasibility of business ideas require quick response in terms of key design elements such as weight, power requirements and quick estimation of cost.
Updates to current vessels or changes to initial design specifications require quick adaptation of design estimations.
OCEAN and ICCS have developed a software “plugin” to quickly estimate design elements of new vessels or existing vessels to be updated.
The plugin has been developed on top of Rhino3D CAD platform, which is widely used by naval architects and marine designers and offers:
- 3D visualisation using NURB surfaces
- portability (Models can be viewed in both workstations and tablets)
- tools to produce useful surfaces out of 3D scanning point-clouds. Existing vessels can be modelled and used by the plugin
Workflow of the Design Support Plugin
The plugin allows the user to make a library of materials and assign values to them such as:
- Mass per area
- Cost of purchase per area
- Cost of processing per area
For composite materials the plugin allows the user to combine multiple standard materials and calculate the resulting composite material properties.
Then materials are assigned to the model’s 3D surfaces and the user selects model assemblies such as plating, stiffeners, tank boundaries and assigns standard or composite materials to each one of them.
Benefits of the Design Support Plugin
The plugin allows a vessel engineer to rapidly:
- Report on a weight plan consisting of:
- Individual assemblies mass
- Total vessel mass
- Longitudinal centre of Gravity
- Transverse centre of Gravity
- Vertical centre of Gravity
- Total cost of materials and process
- export the data to Microsoft Excel for further processing or upload them to the Vessel Meta-file application
- place individual items with their own mass directly on the model such as passengers, engines, equipment etc
- estimate o cost of materials
- processing cost
- total mass and Center of Gravity (COG)
- resistance and Power requirements for vessels with a Planing hull-form
- hydrodynamic parameters such as
- Lift Coefficients,
- Trim angle
- Estimation of wetted surface, Resistance
- Power requirements for ten user defined vessel speeds
Overview of the Design Support Plugin features
- Weight, cost and power requirements can be extracted quickly from any 3D modelled vessel (new or existing) and reported directly to all actors
- Comparison studies regarding selection of materials for optimising a new design or an update.
- Quick answers to:
- Total weight
- Total cost of materials/processes
- Fuel consumption
- Environmental Assessment can be performed using estimated values